I was at Pamela's Tea Room today at a meeting with mystery author DJ Piper and Debbie Mitsch, owner of indie bookstore Mystery Ink in Huntington Beach, CA. The purpose of the visit was to see if there was anything our little arts nonprofit (Whimsicalidocious) could do to help the bookstore at a time it is in as much peril as the victims in the stories it sells. The following is what came of our chat ... It's my story and I'm stickin' to it:
Mystery Ink is known for its author events. They are the bread and butter of the bookstore that has weathered decades of uncertainty to stay afloat. Authors are clamoring to get back to the shop to give talks and sell their books.
There's just one hitch. As soon as a writer is booked, they drop dead, and the event never takes place.
I mentioned to Debbie that we have a cache of bright and dedicated Tea & Sympathy Investigative Agency detectives on hand who would most likely be delighted to help solve her mystery and problem. And they work for tea! Join us, won't you? The bookstore needs us!
Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 10:30am
Mystery Ink, 8907 Warner Avenue, #150, Huntington Beach, CA
- Take-away tea catered by Pamela's: box containing 4 assorted tea sandwiches, crisps, a nibble of fruit, scone & fixings, and I'm going to see if we can get some yummy little cupcakes somewhere.
- $10 store credit at Mystery Ink 📚
- Hot tea in pump pots with handled paper cups. Feel free to BYO china cup & saucer.
- Note: we will be seating outside in chairs, not at tables. Feel free to bring your own park-style chair if you'd be more comfortable
- Party favor, tax, PayPal fees etc
- All reservations are final. Thus there are no refunds. However, if you are unable to attend, you may give your spot to a family member or friend.
- Dietary restrictions should be arranged with the caterer (Pamela's) at least 10 days in advance.
- Your PayPal receipt comprises your confirmation. No "tickets" will be distributed. (We're just a little social group, not a business.)
- Reminder: we will be seating in rows of chairs, not at tables. Feel free to bring your own park-style chair if you'd be more comfortable